Christmas is my favorite time of year to do some writing. The holiday season encourages kids to write about their family traditions, share what they want for Christmas and write about the gift of giving. I would love to share 21 FREE Writing Prompts About Christmas that you can use with your students. They are easy to use with any activity and any paper. You can also take a look at the crafts that go with these prompts for some added fun.
Christmas Tree Writing Prompts
The history of the Christmas tree is a fun study to do during the winter. Kids always wonder why we started putting large trees in our homes to decorate. You can use these Fun Facts to learn about the history of the Christmas Tree. Once your kids have finished the study, you can have them complete a simple writing activity using one of the following prompts:
- If a Christmas tree could talk, it would say…
- If I were a Christmas tree, I would…
- I think Christmas trees are… because…
- I couldn’t believe it when the Christmas tree… (spooky or funny story)
If you prefer not to find your own writing paper or templates, you can use this Christmas Tree Craft and Writing Activity. Just click on the pictures for the link!
Christmas Gift Writing Prompts
Every child who celebrates Christmas loves to make their own Christmas wish list. Help the kids brainstorm their gift ideas and share some of their wishes. You can also remind students about gifts that mean a little more! Use these writing prompts if your little ones need a bit of help getting started with their writing:
- If I could give any gift to ______ it would be _____
- If I could choose any gift to give, it would be…
- I think gifts are… because…
- I couldn’t believe it when the gift… (spooky or funny story)
- If I could choose any gift to receive, it would be…
For extra fun, add this cute Christmas Gift Craft to their writing templates and display them around the room! Just click on the pictures to learn more.
Gingerbread Writing Prompt Ideas
During the winter, my kids love to read all the variations of the Gingerbread Story. We pick 4 – 5 stories to compare and contrast, then we create an anchor chart. The chart summarizes the plot, setting, characters, main idea and any differences among the stories. The kids like to vote on their favorite story and we create a graph during math time! We also complete a writing prompt using one of the following ideas:
- If I could ask a gingerbread cookie anything, it would be…
- If I were a gingerbread cookie, I would…
- I think gingerbread cookies are… because…
- I couldn’t believe it when the gingerbread cookie… (spooky or funny story)
This Gingerbread Craft goes perfectly with any of the above-mentioned writing prompts about Christmas. Just click the picture to use the craft!
Christmas Ornament Writing Craft Ideas
Just like the Christmas Tree, there is a history behind Christmas ornaments. I like to let my kids research on their own and then we go over some facts together. You can use these Fun Facts to research as a class. The kids can then write about what they learned or use one of the writing prompts below:
- Once upon a time, I found a magical ornament that…
- If I were an ornament, I would…
- I think ornaments are… because…
- I couldn’t believe it when the ornament… (spooky or funny story)
If we have enough time, the kids are each allowed to bring in one ornament to share with the class. If their favorite from home is a breakable one, I let the parents send me a picture which I share on the board.
Grab this cute Ornament Craft to go with the kids writing and create a fun keepsake for families. You can find the link by clicking on the images.
You can grab all 21 of the Writing Prompts About Christmas from the Freebie Vault by entering your email. A downloadable version of the prompts will be emailed directly to you!
Grab this writing prompt freebie bundle!
Interested in the entire bundle of Christmas Crafts and writing prompts? I have a discounted bundle you can find here:
You can also find them all individually here:
You may also like the following posts:
- LOOKING FOR FUN WINTER BULLETIN BOARD IDEAS & A “COOL” CRAFT ACTIVITY??
- A FUN GINGERBREAD CRAFT & THE “SWEETEST” IDEAS FOR CHRISTMAS BULLETIN BOARDS
- POLAR EXPRESS MATH ACTIVITIES
- WINTER POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
- Grab this freebie bundle
I would love to hear how you use these writing prompts for Christmas with your kids! Tell me about them in the comments.